Friday, January 15, 2010

Why Men are colour blind!

I am sure you have been in this situation. So, you are shopping with a woman (wife, girlfriend, cousin whoever). The scene at some obscenely expensive and overrated fashion store with a pretentious name and the conversation goes like this:

Shop girl: Ma'am, have you seen our winter collection?
Lady: "I am looking for a....perhaps that burgundy top ...over there...."
Shop Girl: "May be you can mix and match with that Mauve scarf..."
Lady: " Or...give me that one with a bit of Fuschia thrown in...it looks fab"

If parts of this conversation went 'beep' in your head, please continue reading. And for others, who understood it all, (mostly ladies I presume) please bear with me as I present a some honest confessions about men.
We Men are colour blind!
Well...not entirely, we understand basic colours like red, blue, black, white, green, yellow etc. And I'll tell you why. Some of these colours we can easily associate with. Brown - Chocolate, Maroon - My favourite, Grey - Jacket, Black - the only colour we wear on saturday night, Red or Green - the house we represented in school and so on. And, after the light experiment in the physics lab in Class 8, we successfully learnt the VIBGYOR. Well.....not entirely (Quick note for boys: Violet - No it is not purple. It is the other one. Indigo - Not Tata. This was out of CBSE syllabus.) But beyond this spectrum is an optical blur for us and it becomes a test of intelligence that we do not possess. Teal, I am told is a colour.
Here's a list of colours that we men have no clue about but we ought to know. Guys, I don't know them myself, so I am giving you broad hints on what they look like....figure it out yourself:
Mauve - Pronounced as pretentiously as possible. Approximately like your faded NCC uniform
Burgundy - Like an Old Monk bottle! I think...
Fuschia - Is a colour. Is not f*** you in French. Belongs to the red family. Near a tomato.
Peach - Like peach snapps...or may be not. Go figure it out
Tuscany - Is not a colour you dickhead!
Lilac - Sorry dude! no idea!
Olive - Some strain of green
So, guys, incase you have other colours that I need to learn. Please add and enlighten me.
PS: The colour status that women posted on FB, I am told, is the colour of the bra they are wearing ...because of some breastcancer awareness campaign. So now go quickly go and check out...who posted "burgundy", "peach" or NONE!!!

11 comments:

Street Style said...

Oh god Harsha..you are just talking like my one month old husband..I used to think he is color blind but in time I realized he is just a man..

And you have just made this even clearer..you men are extremely limited and have a microscopic view when it comes to colors and many such things..

SUNITHA CHOUDHRY said...

I loved this Harsha! Absolutely honest approach! That s what makes men such fun and great to know! You can trust a man to be a fab friend , tell him your secrets and then not worry about him bitching behind your back, cos he just FORGOT the details ha ha haaaaaa!

shuba said...

here's a conundrum. then why are most fashion designers, color artists, illustrators, graphic designers, and landscape artists of the male variety?

Joincidence? ;)

Maddy said...

Dude...Thats a good one. I got tired of asking women what these colors truly meant.

Unknown said...

Harsha - you left out 'apricot', 'lavender' & 'auburn'.
:D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Harsha, the most important colour for girls... 'Hot Pink'!!! Where's that???!!! :)

Unknown said...

AWESOME! and to think hotshot, stud anchor was probably grappling with this issue while doing primetime news..."what the f#!@ is the color of this shirt im made to wear today? Mauve, burgundy..?!"

Sandhya Menon said...

I just chanced on this one Harsha. Funny in bits :) And you've got almost all the colours wrong by the way :D Except for olive. I laughed aloud at Tuscany :) Nice :)

Yadagiri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yadagiri said...

Kakatiya mama